Scratching until bleeding. Swollen and watery eyes. Painfully tender and swollen lips. Agitating hives. These are a few of the very uncomfortable symptoms allergies can cause.
In this case, the victim of these allergy symptoms was my ever loyal companion Leo (pictured above). Leo is the incarnation of commitment, the embodiment of unconditional love, the picture of joy when he plays, a provider of protection more reassuring than a steel fortress, and he lives in ultimate gratitude for the life provided to him after being rescued from the poverty stricken streets of a town in Puerto Rico. When discovered, he was covered in toxic paint and almost didn’t survive. He completely understands me emotionally; always greeting me with care when I am mad, with comfort when I am sad, and with unbridled excitement when he sees his leash as we venture into the world together. When he is happy, I am content. When he is hurt, I feel pain. And when he is suffering, I will persist and travel far and wide in search of relief for him. So of course, to see him scratch furiously and endure without complaint would not be tolerated and required immediate attention. And fortunately, we found the cure.
After multiple vet visits, various recommendations for everything from steroids (NEVER for a moment considered steroids) to homeopathic topicals, hours of internet searches, and thousands of dollars, we arrived at the essence of life–clean, organic, and beautiful food. We removed all grains and focused on organic and raw poultry, meats and vegetables that are antibiotic and steroid free without added hormones. Leo’s diet further includes organic produce, organic minerals and unrefined vitamins.
Leo also gets a tablespoon of Extra Virgin Coconut Oil daily and is bathed regularly with Coconut Oil. Coconut Oil is one of my favorite foods and most treasured natural panaceas.
- Coconut Oil can kill harmful microorganisms. When coconut oil is enzymatically digested, it forms a monoglyceride called monolaurin. Monolaurin kills dangerous pathogens like bacteria, viruses and fungi.
- Coconut Oil is loaded with medium-chain triglycerides that help retain the moisture content of the skin, as the fats eliminate moisture loss through the pores on skin.
- When ingested through the regular consumption of Coconut Oil, healthy fats are retained under the skin keeping it healthy and smooth.
- A 2013 study in the Journal of International Dermatology found that virgin Coconut Oil improved skin barrier function in patients with dermatitis.
- Coconut Oil contains 3 fatty acids (capric acid, caprylic, lauric acid) that kill candida, which is a common cause of fungal infection on your skin.
End Result–He has been and continues to be Allergy FREE. Before you seek out medicines and other masks for health, remember that the power of food is boundless whether it be in the promotion of your own health or the health of your own best friends. I am so grateful to a few special, caring, and educated individuals for helping us find a cure for Leo; especially a big shout out to Aaron for his unconditional love and commitment to Leo and my two other best friends at home. And most importantly, this article is dedicated to Leo ~ quite simply, my best friend.
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food.”